Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Composition and Technology

Reflections for Week 2...

There were so many possibilities for my official blog post for class this week! The lecture, the readings in the text, and the assignments provided a lot of information about composition, notation software, and improvisation.

I appreciated the explanations of MIDI in Chapter 2, especially in regard to MIDI In, MIDI Out, and MIDI Thru. I now use a MacBook and haven’t had nearly as much trouble, but I remember trying to get Finale to play nice with my Windows machine about 10 years ago and spending hours trying to get my keyboard, my computer, and Finale to work with each other. It took lots of time (and frustration) to figure it out each time I wanted to do some work on replacing missing parts or creating parts for non-traditional instruments for my jazz band. The book did a good job of explaining that communication process.

My main focus for this post is a reflection back on a unique concert experience I put together for my band and our audience a couple of years ago. As a 5th through 12th grade music department, we decided that we were going to have a composition focus for our December concert. Our high school director had the students in his groups write their own compositions for the concert. Some wrote solo pieces while others wrote ensembles. The director in charge of the fifth and sixth grade bands did some group composition with her groups. I decided to go for broke and involve the audience. I wasn’t sure how I was going to do that, but after some internet searching and a little experimentation, I found a way…

I gave my band students an assignment where I asked them to compose a short piece of music. I gave them 5 rules:
  • Start with the clef needed for your instrument.
  • Put any sharps or flats you need in order to write in the key of Concert B-flat for your instrument.
  • Put the time signature needed in order to play four beats in each measure.
  • Write an eight measure piece using any of the notes from the Concert B-flat scale.
  • Feel free to use any musical symbols you normally have in your music (slurs and other articulation markings, dynamics, etc.).

I collected the compositions a couple weeks later, selected four that would work in any order, and transposed parts for everyone using Finale. We spent some rehearsal time playing them in different orders and experimenting with a website called polleverywhere.com. I set up a poll that assigned a letter (A-D) to each of the four student compositions. I had the students use their phones and other devices to vote for which piece we would play first, second, and third, which would also automatically decide which one was the final piece. We worked out the kinks in rehearsal, which led to a great concert experience.

For the concert, I set up a PowerPoint presentation with the four compositions in concert pitch and the texting information required to participate in the voting. The band and the audience could actually watch the results live on the screen, so there were interesting reactions in real time to which piece was “winning.” The audience chose which piece was first, which was second, and which was third. The band then played a song that had been written collectively by some of the members of the band and arranged by the audience. It was a great way to combine composition and technology, as well as the band and the audience, all together.

3 comments:

  1. Nate,

    Great post! I loved reading about your decision to and experimentation with involving the audience in an interactive, composition-oriented concert experience. As a department, we often struggle with educating our audiences along with our students - it does seem clear that in all but a few select circles, concert etiquette and habits are no longer default settings for many people. We've taken to including concert etiquette guidelines in our programs and talking to the audience about the importance of live performance, etc. This idea of going further and actually engaging the audience in the music process - and concurrently teaching them something about how music is designed and arranged - is an outstanding idea to take this audience involvement to more depth.

    I also recently gave my Symphony Band students an extremely similar assignment (I did it in concert F and added that they must include a unique zenith/climax moment in the phrase - aside from that the guidelines were identical). I gave them the option to write it out by hand or use noteflight/musescore. Most of them tried their hand at using noteflight - I've decided to follow up on this by bringing them into the computer lab to walk them through the program more step by step and do some troubleshooting. After this initial composition, they were paired up and they are now writing countermelody/accompaniment parts to turn their 8-measure solo pieces into 16-measure duets. I look forward to guiding them through that process and hearing the results, particularly from these very shy students who are hesitant to put themselves out there musically.

    Thanks for posting!
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara - we've done lots of little variations on doing small eight measure compositions but I've never taken that the next step into harmonizing or turning things into duets. I'd love to be able to do that at some point. How much guidance do you give them for that versus letting them completely come up with that on their own? Is there a list of guidelines you provide for that portion of the assignment as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nate,
    Thanks so much for your great sharing about integrating composition and technology in your classroom. Composition is something that I have always loved and I try to utilize it as a creative way to increase student understanding of the more basic elements of music theory. I have a group of "singer/songwriters" in one of my classes and I look forward to seeing how they will utilize the noteflight software that I have presented to expand their original compositions. This group composed an original vocal piece to begin this year's Christmas concert and have been meeting in my room once a week during their lunch to work on more original songs to present to the school at the end of the year. It is so exciting to watch the children as their interest and skill levels develop. The technology that we are learning about in this class is a welcome addition to my classroom!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About