Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

What Technology?!

Reflections for Week 1...

I’ve always enjoyed learning about and using new technologies. As far back as I can remember, we had a computer in our house since my dad was a computer science major in college, back in the days of punch cards and computers that filled entire rooms. I loved early basic programming and figuring out how to make my computer do things. As I got more into music, I enjoyed listening to the warm sound of vinyl records (those of my parents and eventually my own). As I became more aware of what else was out there by listening to the radio, I wanted to be able to capture those sounds to listen to them whenever I wanted. I used to hold my little Fisher Price tape recorder up to my radio during Dick Clark’s weekly American Top 40 program so I could “save” my favorite songs. Over time, those records and tapes were replaced by CDs and eventually MP3s. Music and computers have come a long way in the last 30 years.

Getting older and having a family, my budget is tighter and I rarely have the latest and greatest technology. I’ve been blessed to have a MacBook Pro and an iPad for school use the last four years and honestly don’t think I could go back to teaching without them. Between SmartMusic, Finale, Dropbox, and Audacity on my MacBook and SmartMusic, Dropbox, Noteshelf, TinyScan, WavePad, any many other apps including metronomes and tuners, all in one device in my iPad, I don’t think I’d want to go back to teaching without them!

We started a 1-to-1 “bring your own device” program at our high school this year. While I don’t think there are any Luddites on our faculty, there were a lot of people concerned about going this direction. Some were worried about our network and facilities being able to handle the load. Others were concerned about how to incorporate technology (whatever that meant to them) into their current teaching style and subject matter. Within our music department we had some concerns, especially in regard to our new music technology class. The school qualifications for a device are open enough to include Chromebooks, Macs, and Windows computers. We purchased USB keyboards, but later found out Chromebooks don’t play nice with them. We also had access to an iPad cart with enough devices for the class to use, but ran into other issues with getting those set up. There are so many great possibilities out there and there are often obstacles to overcome to get to where we want to be. But it is often in getting through those obstacles that we learn and grow the most. For me personally, troubleshooting technology gives me great personal satisfaction and often leads to a better understanding of how it all works.

As Bauer stated in the opening chapter of our textbook, the definition of technology can include everything from pencils to automobiles to food processors. I’m looking forward to learning more about the computers and digital tools discussed in the text and in our projects and discussions over the next seven weeks. I’m excited about the possibilities for my personal learning and growing, as well as for my students.

6 comments:

  1. Our high school also started a bring your own device program. This includes the students as well. Since our school district can't provide the technology, it was decided that everyone bringing their own device was the way to go. It has been met with a few challenges but is overall successful. From my perspective as a teacher the biggest challenge has been competing with the computers, smartphones, and tablets for the students attention. We went from a complete ban on digital devices to no rules within one year. As we all adjust to the new landscape, I think more efficient learning will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timothy - thanks for your thoughts. We have certain qualifications for the devices, so phones aren't included, and I don't know that tablets count either. I know that some of our teachers have certain rules about the laptops in the classroom. They have certain cues for which angle they would like the screen to be. If they're lecturing and don't want students using their laptops, they tell them to close them to a 45 degree angle. I don't know if something like that would help you if they can use phones and tablets as well.

      Delete
  2. Our school system also has what we call a Bring Your Own Technology (BYOT) network. Students connect to this wifi on their own cell phones. Since I teach band and music tech classes I get to see the positive and negative aspects of this freedom students have on their devices. Though the network has a firewall that is supposed to keep students off of social media and other sites, our digital natives find ways to bypass the blocker and go wherever they please online. This often presents problems with students venturing away from using their devices for educational purposes.
    The BYOT access certainly enhances the music tech experience for my students. It allows them to use apps and online music resources relevant to class projects. In my band classes however, I feel like I'm constantly trying to keep cell phones off of music stands and in their pockets. We use them sometimes for tuning or metronome apps but they usually come out to check texts or a snapchat.
    Part of me misses the days when we weren't constantly connected to devices. I know education is better in so many ways because of technology so I hope we can find a balance as we go forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin - I've seen things on Pinterest and other places where teachers use a large shoe organizer (at least I think that's what it is) to collect cell phones when they're not needed for class. It's a large plastic thing with compartments that you can put phones in and it just hangs on the wall or over a door. It's clear so you can see who has and hasn't put in their phone. That might be something to consider.

      Delete
  3. I'm jealous! My family got its first computer when I was sixteen. Before that, I distinctly remember playing on my grandmother's old-fashioned typewriter until junior high, when I used a word processor (and I don't mean software!) to type school assignments. It still astonishes me that, in such a relatively short time, technology has progressed to the point that I can type and post this comment using my smartphone over wireless internet while my family and I wait in a restaurant for our meals to arrive.

    I am curious about these 1:1 programs, particularly when they are "bring your own device.". We have had conversations recently in my district regarding the legality of confiscating and/or going through a student's phone as it is private property. I would imagine that similar legal boundaries exist around any personally-owned electronic device. How do you deal with unethical behavior such as cheating without crossing the line into illegal practices?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica - I teach at a Lutheran school, so our students are all angels and would never think about cheating... :)

      I'm not sure what the legal rights and regulations would be. We have a pastoral administrator on staff who deals with things of that nature. If you're interested, I could ask him if we have some sort of official policy. Let me know.

      I agree that it's amazing how technology has progressed in such a short time. It really makes you wonder what we'll be doing and using in another 10 or 20 years that hasn't even been invented yet!

      Delete

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About